Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Chunky

While reading "Moonwalking with Einstein" I have learned two memory techniques so far. The first involves names:
Using vivid images with a person in the center of the image is the key to remembering names. For example, remembering Donald Trump's name by imagining him speaking in a Donald Duck voice while trumping the people he fires. It's silly, but it works.
The second technique is called chunking. Chunking is memorizing numbers or letters in chunks or sections. For example, remembering the numerical string 120741091101 is difficult all together. But you could separate it into sections of three: 120 741 091 101. Another way is making them into dates: 12/07/41 and 09/11/01. Maybe you recognize these are the dates of surprise attacks on American soil. There, you have 12 digits memorized.
I remember in my subconscious using these techniques for remembering names I had to. I used the chunking to remember 67 digits of pi. Sadly I printed those numbers from an incorrect website. I got to about 9 that were right. The teacher decided to watch me make a fool of myself for the other 58. But I remember how accomplished I felt. Still have learned no practice techniques from this book yet so I'm considering dabbling into other books specifically for practice.
In terms of my physical exercise adventures, I've been running a 5k for the past 2 days. I'm hoping my mom will let me sneak away early to the gym in the morning. On the plane right now, landing shortly.
Also, will be white water rafting tomorrow. Wish me luck and wish my brother Stu a happy birthday tomorrow!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers